Your RV awning is a valuable outdoor accessory, providing shade and comfort during your travels. However, over time, it can accumulate dirt, stains, and mildew, which can detract from its appearance and functionality. Instead of investing in expensive commercial cleaners, consider making your homemade RV awning cleaner. In this guide, we’ll share cost-effective DIY solutions to help you clean and maintain your RV awning, saving you money and keeping it in pristine condition.
Why Make Your Homemade RV Awning Cleaner?
Creating your homemade RV awning cleaner offers several benefits:
- Cost Savings: Commercial awning cleaners can be expensive. Homemade solutions use common household ingredients, saving you money.
- Customization: DIY cleaners allow you to tailor the formula to your specific cleaning needs, ensuring effective stain and dirt removal.
- Environmentally Friendly: Many commercial cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can harm the environment. Homemade cleaners are often more eco-friendly.
- Control Over Ingredients: You have control over the ingredients used, making it easier to avoid allergens or chemicals you prefer not to use.
Homemade RV Awning Cleaner Recipes
Here are two effective DIY awning cleaner recipes you can easily make at home:
Recipe 1: Mild Soap and Water Solution
- 1/4 cup mild liquid dish soap (preferably biodegradable)
- 1 gallon of warm water
- Soft-bristle brush or sponge
- Fill a bucket with one gallon of warm water.
- Add 1/4 cup of mild liquid dish soap to the water.
- Stir the mixture until the soap is well-dissolved.
- Extend your RV awning fully to expose the entire surface.
- Dip a soft-bristle brush or sponge into the soapy solution and gently scrub the awning’s surface.
- Pay extra attention to any stubborn stains or areas with visible dirt.
- Rinse the awning thoroughly with a hose, ensuring all soap residue is removed.
- Allow the awning to dry completely before retracting it.
Recipe 2: Vinegar and Baking Soda Cleaner
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- Soft-bristle brush or sponge
- Spray bottle
- In a bucket, mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 1 cup of warm water.
- Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the vinegar-water mixture and stir until the baking soda dissolves.
- Transfer the solution to a spray bottle for easier application.
- Extend your RV awning fully to access the entire surface.
- Spray the vinegar and baking soda solution generously onto the awning’s surface.
- Allow the solution to sit for 10-15 minutes to loosen dirt and stains.
- Use a soft-bristle brush or sponge to scrub the awning, focusing on heavily soiled areas.
- Rinse the awning thoroughly with a hose to remove all traces of the cleaning solution.
- Let the awning dry completely before retracting it.
- Always test your homemade cleaner on a small, inconspicuous area of the awning before applying it to the entire surface.
- Avoid using abrasive brushes or harsh chemicals that could damage the awning material.
- Regularly clean and maintain your RV awning to prevent the buildup of dirt and stains.
Homemade RV awning cleaners are an affordable and eco-friendly solution for keeping your awning looking its best. By using simple ingredients from your pantry, you can effectively remove dirt, stains, and mildew, prolonging the life of your awning and enhancing your outdoor RV experience. Making your DIY cleaner gives you control over the ingredients and allows you to customize the formula to suit your specific cleaning needs. With these homemade awning cleaner recipes, you’ll save money and keep your awning in pristine condition for years to come.